75gm/3oz self-raising flour
100gm/4oz caster sugar
A pinch of salt.
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
75gm/3oz grated carrots
100gm/4oz cream cheese
50gm/2oz icing sugar
A few drops vanilla essence
- Preheat oven (Gas mark 4, 180℃, 350℉)
- Grease an 18cm/7inch square cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the first 5 ingredients into a bowl, then beat in the oil and egg.
- Mix in the grated carrots.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 45mins or until firm.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. When cold slice it carefully through the middle ready for the filling and the topping.
- Cream together all the topping ingredients except the nuts. Divide the mixture and sandwich the two pieces of cake together with half of it. Spread the rest over the top and sprinkle with nuts.