6oz/175g caster sugar
8oz/225g self-raising flour
A pinch of salt
3 large eggs
5oz/140g glace cherries quartered
A little milk if necessary
- Preheat oven to 170℃/340/Gas mark 3.
- Grease and line a 7” round tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in colour.
- Beat in eggs.
- Sift flour and salt, and fold, with the cherries, into the mixture. Add a little milk if mixture is very stiff.
- Turn into prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake at a touch lower temperature for 11/4 hrs or until a knife comes out clean
- Cool on a rack