5 oz. Butter or margarine
7 oz. Flour (with plain flour use 2 level tsp baking powder)
6 oz. Black treacle or Golden syrup
4 oz. soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
Grated rind of 1 small lemon
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 4, 180℃ or 350
- Put butter, sugar, treacle and water into a pan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Pour melted ingredients onto dry mixture and beat well.
- Add the lemon rind and eggs, beat once again.
- Line a 7inch/18cm round tin with baking paper.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 60-75 mins, press gently in centre and if no impression is left, the cake is cooked.
- Cool for 30 mins in the tin, then turn out onto wire rack.
- When cold, ice and decorate with preserved ginger.