200g unsalted butter diced
175g molasses sugar
3 tbspn black treacle
2 large eggs beaten
4 pieces chopped stem ginger
300g self-raising flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
Ginger Fudge Icing
4tbsp of drained ginger syrup
300g icing sugar, sifted
140g unsalted softened butter
2tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to (Gas mark 3, 160℃, 140℃ – Fan Oven)
- Butter and line the base of a 23cm/9in round cake tin.
- Gently melt the butter, sugar and treacle; cool briefly then stir in the milk.
- Beat in the eggs and add the chopped stem ginger.
- Sift the flour, ground ginger and a pinch of salt into the warm mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and level the surface.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until firm and risen.
- Cool in the tin for an hour then transfer to a wire rack.
- Prick the top of the cooked cake all over then pour 2 tablespoons of the syrup over.
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter, lemon juice and the remaining ginger syrup and spread over the cake.